1966 Mercedes 230SL Euro 4 Speed
The refined sports car—that is perhaps the best way to define the Mercedes-Benz Pagoda. It blended the performance and style expected of a sports car with the comfort, safety, and refinement of a luxury coupe. In many ways, it established the blueprint of what sports cars are today.
Mercedes-Benz possesses one of the richest histories of any automobile manufacturer, rivaled perhaps only by Ford. The story begins in 1886 when Karl Benz patented what is widely regarded as the world's first practical automobile, the Benz Patent-Motorwagen. Prior to this many "automobile" were large steam contractions which couldn't go very far or efficiently. Early public reaction was less than enthusiastic, with neighbors complaining about the smell and noise of the strange new machine. The automobile's true debut came not through Karl, but through his wife, Bertha Benz, who—without telling him—set off with their two sons on a 106-kilometer (66-mile) journey to visit her mother. The trip proved the automobile was more than an engineering curiosity; it was practical transportation. Along the way she purchased fuel from a pharmacy, made roadside repairs, and unknowingly completed what is considered the world's first long-distance automobile journey.
While Benz was developing his three-wheeled Motorwagen, Gottlieb Daimler and Wilhelm Maybach were independently building their own four-wheeled gasoline-powered automobiles. The two companies had no business relationship during these early years. Karl Benz founded Benz & Cie., concentrating on industrial-scale automobile production, while Daimler established Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft (DMG) in 1890 and focused heavily on high-performance engines and international licensing.
In 1894 Benz introduced the Benz Velo, the world's first series-production automobile, with approximately 1,200 examples built. Around the same time, automobile competition was beginning to capture the public's imagination. The Paris–Rouen Trial of 1894 and the Paris–Bordeaux–Paris race of 1895 demonstrated the capabilities of these new machines, with Daimler-powered cars winning both events and helping establish the company's reputation for performance.
One of DMG's most influential customers was Austrian businessman and automobile dealer Emil Jellinek. Seeking a revolutionary racing car to promote sales, Jellinek commissioned what became the Mercedes 35 PS. Introduced in 1901, it is widely regarded as the first modern automobile thanks to its low center of gravity, long wheelbase, powerful engine, and purposeful engineering. The car was named after Jellinek's daughter, Mercédès, and the name soon became synonymous with speed, innovation, and luxury—years before the merger with Benz.
In 1909 DMG adopted the now-famous three-pointed star, designed to symbolize the company's ambition to build engines for transportation on land, sea, and air. Economic hardship following World War I eventually lead Benz & Cie. and DMG to cooperate in 1924 before formally merging in 1926 to form Daimler-Benz AG. From that point forward, the automobiles proudly carried the name Mercedes-Benz, combining the engineering heritage of Benz with the prestige and performance of Mercedes.
Skipping over the less flattering chapter of Mercedes-Benz history, we arrive in 1952. Much like 1924, the company found itself rebuilding after Germany's defeat in World War II. Production had resumed, but Mercedes-Benz was still largely known for conservative luxury sedans and coupes that retained much of their pre-war styling. The company needed something exciting to capture the world's attention once again. The answer was racing.
Mercedes-Benz engineers took their proven 3.0-liter overhead-cam inline-six engine and mounted it in an ultra-lightweight tubular spaceframe chassis. To allow for the car's remarkably low hoodline, the engine was inclined 50 degrees to the left and fitted with triple dual-throat carburetors. This wouldn't have been Mercedes' first choice in engines, but they were operating on a razor-thin budget and used what they had. Because the high chassis sills made conventional doors impossible, distinctive gullwing doors were incorporated into the design. The resulting competition car, known as the W194, instantly became one of the most successful racing cars of its era. During the 1952 season it claimed overall victories at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the Bern-Bremgarten Grand Prix, the Eifelrennen at the Nürburgring, and the Carrera Panamericana through Mexico.
The W194's success caught the attention of influential New York Mercedes-Benz importer Max Hoffman, who believed there was a market in America for a road-going version of the race car. Hoffman convinced Mercedes-Benz to put the car into production and reportedly committed to purchasing a 1,000 of them before the first example had even been built. The production version became the legendary 300 SL—its name standing for 3 liters and "Sport Leicht," German for "Sport Light"—a name that still used today. Introduced at the 1954 New York International Auto Show rather than the traditional Geneva or Frankfurt shows, the 300 SL was an immediate sensation and is widely credited with creating the modern supercar genre .
Capable of more than 155 mph, the 300 SL was the fastest production automobile in the world, surpassing the Jaguar XK120. It also became the first production automobile equipped with mechanical fuel injection, a system developed by Bosch from technology originally engineered for the Messerschmitt fighter aircraft during World War II. Introduced alongside the 300 SL was the similarly styled but far more relaxed 190 SL. While it shared much of the flagship's appearance, the 190 SL was designed as a more affordable comfortable grand touring roadster.
By the early 1960s, the 300 SL remained an engineering masterpiece, but the 190 SL was beginning to show its age against newer competitors. Mercedes-Benz also recognized that their would be a larger market that wanted a balanced of performance with comfort, luxury, and everyday usability.
Development of the next-generation SL began with a series of experimental 220 SL prototypes that combined the 190 SL chassis with a six-cylinder engine. Only four prototypes were built before the concept was scrapped. The new SL was designed around Mercedes-Benz's groundbreaking crumple-zone safety philosophy and featured a passenger compartment free of sharp edges, along with a redesigned steering column intended to reduce driver injury during a collision.
The new body was penned by famed Mercedes-Benz designer Friedrich Geiger, whose earlier work included the magnificent pre-war 500K and 540K as well as the iconic 300 SL Gullwing. Introduced as the 230 SL, the car quickly earned the nickname "Pagoda" because of its distinctive removable hardtop, whose gently concave roof resembled the sweeping rooflines of traditional East Asian temples. The subtle upward sweep of the beltline gave the entire car a graceful, balanced appearance that perfectly reflected the transition from the rounded styling of the 1950s to the cleaner, more angular designs that would define the late 1960s.
The 230 SL made its public debut at the Geneva Motor Show in March 1963. Power came from a 2,306cc overhead-cam inline-six producing 150 horsepower and giving the car a top speed of approximately 124 mph. The engine was highly advanced for its day, featuring Bosch mechanical fuel injection and a single overhead camshaft. Every 230 SL was equipped with front diA total of 19,831 examples of the 230 SL were produced between 1963 and 1967 before it was replaced by the 250 SL, which retained the same elegant styling while offering a larger engine.
A total of 19,831 examples of the 230 SL were produced between 1963 and 1967 before it was replaced by the 250 SL, which retained the same elegant styling while offering a larger engine.
Coming soon to Bring a Trailer is this 1966 Mercedes-Benz 230 SL. Originally delivered in Europe and later imported to the United States, this Pagoda was built on September 17, 1965, and titled as a 1966 model. It remains finished in its factory white exterior over its original Cognac/Bamboo leather interior and retains its matching-numbers engine paired with a desirable four-speed manual transmission. Factory options include power steering and a Becker radio, both of which remain functional. The car was also fitted with a period air-conditioning system that is still in working order.
Also included is a photocopy of the original Mercedes-Benz data card supplied by Mercedes-Benz, documenting the car's factory specifications and options. It confirms option code 226 for European delivery through Munich, option 279 for a mechanically operated antenna, option 720 for a black folding soft top, and option 835 for coco floor mats.
Although this 230 SL has never undergone a full restoration, it has been exceptionally well maintained throughout its life. As a European-market car, it features desirable details such as single-piece headlights and no overriders. Service records dating back to 1989 accompany the car, documenting its time in Texas before it was acquired by a dealer in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin, and ultimately purchased by the current owner, who has enjoyed and carefully maintained it for the past 12 years.
Within the last year, the battery has been replaced and the Bosch mechanical fuel injection system was professionally rebuilt at a cost of more than $5,000. In 2015, the power steering box was replaced, and in 2019 the car received approximately $6,800 worth of mechanical servicing to ensure everything operated as intended. Aside from the time spent having the fuel injection system rebuilt, the car has been driven regularly and enjoyed only in fair weather. The rear axle does produce some noise when cold, although it becomes noticeably quieter as the car warms up. The current owner has also had the bumpers and hardtop brightwork professionally rechromed. For easier use in the United States, an MPH speedometer has been installed, while the original KPH speedometer is included with the sale.
The paint presents very well and is of a quality that can be proudly shown while still encouraging the next owner to get out and enjoy the car as Mercedes intended. Original paint remains visible under the hood and in several hard-to-reach areas. There is no visible surface rust on the body, and the car is free of dents or dings. Because the car has never been restored, the body panel gaps remain true to Mercedes-Benz standards, and the doors, hood, and trunk all close with the solid feel. Factory spot welds are still visible inside the front fenders, further supporting that the body has never been completely disassembled.
The factory leather interior remains in excellent condition with minimal wear and no rips or tears, demonstrating the remarkable quality of Mercedes-Benz materials. The original optional coco floormats are also in excellent condition with only light wear. The headliner in the removable hardtop remains exceptionally well preserved. The folding soft top is present, although it does show some wear around the bows along with a small patch. It will still keep you dry should you get caught in the rain, though the Pagoda is arguably at its best with either its signature hardtop installed or the top folded away on a beautiful day.
The underside is equally impressive, showing no evidence of rust or accident damage while still retaining its factory undercoating. Original Mercedes-Benz part numbers and date codes remain visible on numerous components underneath the car, many of which are highlighted in the accompanying photographs.
Included with the sale are extra keys, the factory shop manual, owner's manual, sales brochure, and spare parts book. Best of all, everything on this 230 SL works—including the original clock and map light. This is an outstanding opportunity to acquire a beautifully preserved, highly original Pagoda that has been carefully maintained by a conscientious owner and great personal friend.
SOLD - $42,750
1954 MG Arnolt Convertible
S.H. Arnolt Inc. was founded by Stanley H. Arnolt II, better known as “Wacky” Arnolt. By the mid-20th century, he had become the largest importer of British cars in the Midwest and one of the largest in the United States. Before entering the automotive world, Arnolt built a fortune manufacturing furniture, boat trailers, ashtrays for Pullman train cars and movie theaters, and material-handling equipment. During World War II, he also produced classified aircraft components, including landing gear.
One of his most famous products was the “Sea Mite” engine—a small boat motor. In 1938, Arnolt famously piloted a 13-foot boat across Lake Michigan in just four hours to prove its reliability, landing at Navy Pier. The Chicago Daily News captured the feat with the headline: “Wacky Comes Through in Fog: Crosses Lake in 13-Foot Boat.”
Despite his success in manufacturing, Arnolt’s true passion was automobiles. In 1952, he encountered a struggling Bertone at the Turin Auto Show. With the decline of traditional coachbuilding, Bertone faced stiff competition from firms like Zagato, Pininfarina, and Scaglietti.
In a last-ditch effort to survive, Bertone built two prototype cars using MG TD chassis—one coupe and one convertible—hoping to secure a production deal with MG. These cars featured long hoods and a grille similar to the MG TD, with hand-formed aluminum body panels. Power came from the standard 1250cc XPAG engine paired with a 4-speed transmission.
Arnolt saw these prototypes at the 1952 Turin Auto Show and immediately purchased both. Bertone reportedly described him as a “strange American businessman,” perhaps reinforcing his “Wacky” nickname. Arnolt then struck a deal with Bertone to produce 200 cars.
Production began in 1953. MG supplied the chassis, which were shipped to Italy for bodywork by Bertone, then sent to Chicago via the Great Lakes for final assembly. Because final completion occurred in Illinois, Arnolt became one if not the only registered automobile manufacturer in the state.
Each car was hand-built, and no two were exactly alike—even the glass differed between coupes and convertibles. Fitment could vary significantly; one restorer noted that doors could differ by as much as six inches between cars. While based on MG mechanicals, the cars incorporated Italian components such as Marchal fog lights, Ferrari-style door handles, and Vespa-sourced running lights.
Arnolt also demonstrated clever design ingenuity—reversing the instrument panel layout and flipping tail lights to better match the body lines. Interiors were fully trimmed in leather and unique to each car. Buyers could choose from numerous options, including heaters, aluminum engine components, Shorrock superchargers, and Borrani wire wheels.
Pricing started at $3,385 for the coupe and $3,585 for the convertible, with Borrani wheels costing an additional $195. Arnolt marketed the car as a “distinctive family car with true continental styling,” though the tiny rear seat made that claim somewhat optimistic.
The prototypes debuted at the 1952 Elkhart Lake races, while production models appeared at the 1953 New York International Auto Show. That same year, the car was featured in an exhibition at the Museum of Modern Art in New York, recognized as one of only ten vehicles celebrated for artistic design.
Arnolt was not the sole distributor. J. S. Inskip ordered 20 cars for its showroom, and one of the more unusual buyers was the United States Air Force, though the reason remains unclear.
Despite early praise, sales slowed significantly. The car’s biggest drawback was performance—producing just 54 horsepower in standard form. At $3,585, buyers could spend only a few hundred dollars more for the Jaguar XK120, which delivered 160 horsepower and was among the fastest production cars in the world at the time.
Arnolt attempted to boost interest by lowering prices to $2,995 for coupes and later offering the more powerful XPEG engine. However, supply issues arose when MG stopped providing chassis—possibly due to prioritizing its own production.
Ultimately, only 103 Arnolt-MGs were built: 67 coupes and 36 convertibles. According to Michael Arnolt, Stanley’s son, it took until 1955 to sell them all.
Undeterred, Arnolt continued his automotive ventures, producing cars like the Arnolt-Bristol and Arnolt-Aston, and even commissioning a single Arnolt-Bentley.
While the Arnolt-MG was not a commercial success, it remains a fascinating and beautiful example of mid-century automotive creativity. It also represents the only factory-endorsed coachbuilt version of the MG TD. More importantly, Arnolt’s partnership helped sustain Bertone—ensuring the survival of a company that would later design icons like the Lamborghini Miura.
This 1954 Arnolt-MG Convertible, chassis number 271. This matching-numbers example is finished in white over a red leather interior with white piping. One of just 13 known to exist today, it represents an exceptionally rare opportunity to own one of the most coveted MG’s in existence.
This car began life on March 31, 1953, as a bare chassis in England before being shipped to Bertone in Italy, where its custom body was constructed. It was then transported to the United States aboard the SS Kollbrynn, arriving in Chicago via the Great Lakes on October 13, 1953. According to the Arnolt-MG Registry, it was originally sold to Hansen-MacPhee Engineering, affiliated with Hansen-MacPhee Sales Corp. of Brookline, Massachusetts, a Volkswagen dealership at the time. The car is now being sold by the family of its previous owner, who cared for it for the past 17 years.
Originally finished in Sun Bronze with a beige Connolly leather interior, the car was refinished in white during a past restoration, and the interior was retrimmed in red leather. The seats remain in excellent condition, complemented by red carpeting throughout, including the trunk. The door panels retain their correct handles and window cranks.
The paint presents well overall and has been shown at several concours events throughout the Midwest. However, there are some imperfections, including cracking and bubbling on the aluminum hood. The car retains its original Arnolt, MG, and Bertone badging, found on the grille, trunk, glove box, and body sides.
Power comes from the matching-numbers 1,250cc engine, which was rebuilt in 2011 with over $5,500 in documented work, including the installation of a Crane mild road performance camshaft. The car is also equipped with optional Arnolt polished aluminum side and valve covers. A service and tune-up were completed in 2022 by the selling dealer, including replacement of the water pump. The engine starts easily, even when cold, and runs strong. Compression on all cylinders reads 150psi and oil pressure at idle is 45psi. The original four-speed transmission shifts through all gears as intended. The car retains its original radiator and features genuine Lucas electrical components, including the turn signal relay, solenoid, voltage regulator, and fuse block. The Arnolt data plate and MG chassis plate remain intact. The heater vent ducting is missing, though the butterfly valve is still present and functional.
Brightwork is excellent throughout, including less visible areas such as the door striker and latch. The polished aluminum top bracket—visible when opening the door—retains its original “Brevetti B.C. Torino” stamping. While the bumpers are in very good condition, they are not original to the car. It rides on optional chrome Borrani wire wheels, all of which present beautifully.
The convertible top is easy to operate, requiring only two latches, and folds neatly into the trunk. A replacement top was installed in 2012 and remains in excellent condition, free of rips or tears. A boot cover is included to protect the stowed top. Window fitment is very good with the top both up and down, with no rubbing noted.
Body lines are impressive for a hand-built coachwork car. The passenger-side door exhibits slight sag and may benefit from adjustment, while the driver’s door, hood, and trunk open and close properly with consistent panel gaps.
The underside is clean and dry, with no signs of fluid leaks following its recent 2022 service and earlier engine rebuild. Some areas underneath the body show signs of older, less-refined repairs. As with many hand-built cars, distinguishing factory construction from later work can be challenging. The frame is solid and receipts show gas tank was acid dipped and lined in 2012. Transmission occasionally pops out of 2nd gear.
Electrical components—including the wipers, horn, headlights, driving lights, turn signals, and radio—have been tested and are functional. The original Arnolt heater unit is present but not currently connected, and the under-dash and under-hood lights are inoperative. The original Marchal driving lights have been replaced with GE units, and the passenger-side marker lens appears to be a Unity replacement. The headlights are genuine Made in Italy Carello H4’s. Gauges and dash lighting are functional, including the unique Arnolt-specific fuel gauge.
The sale includes a substantial history file containing receipts, magazines, articles, and period literature, including brochures, Arnolt accessory catalogs, and an S.H. Arnolt service schedule book.
This is a rare opportunity to acquire one of the most limited-production MG variants ever built—offering distinctive coachbuilt styling and a driving experience to match.
SOLD - $90,000!
Unrestored Pre-War Ford V8-60 Midget Racer
Built, raced, restored. This is the story of most race cars. By the time restoration begins, bodies are replaced, engines are upgraded, and the soul of the machine is often lost. The dents are smoothed away, the patina erased, and what once told the story of courage and competition becomes only a reflection of what it used to be. Rarely is a car taken off the track and put away, left untouched to remain exactly as it was when the last checkered flag fell. This is that rare occasion.
Midget racing officially began in 1933 at Loyola High School Stadium in Los Angeles. It was a sport born from the Great Depression—an era when people had little money but endless determination. Young racers scavenged through scrap yards and garages, building homemade cars from whatever they could find. With only a few dollars, some creativity, and a lot of nerve, they could build something fast. These early midgets were raw, dangerous, and thrilling: single-seaters with lightweight aluminum bodies, handbrakes mounted outside the car, an in-and-out gearbox between the driver’s legs, and only a gas pedal on the floor.
By 1934, Australia had caught the fever, and by 1937, New Zealand joined in, where they called them speed cars. The first tracks were converted bicycle velodromes, wooden ovals that soon gave way to the dirt tracks that would define the sport for decades to come. For those who could afford it, factory-built Elto (Evinrude) midgets with two-stroke engines or Offenhauser-powered cars gave a competitive edge, while the rest made do with whatever could be bolted together. By the late 1930s, midget racing had spread across the country, with venues like Angella Park in South Prairie, Wisconsin, and the Chicago Amphitheatre drawing packed crowds and brave drivers.
When the Second World War began in 1942, racing was put on hold. But after the war, returning veterans were eager for excitement, and midget racing, along with hot rodding and sports car racing, surged to new heights. The sport evolved—there were now quarter, half, three-quarter, and full-sized midgets. The smallest were powered by single lawnmower engines and meant for children, but the danger was real at every level. Affordable mail-order speed parts and fiberglass body’s meant even backyard mechanics could build competitive machines. Ford flathead V8s roared again on local tracks, now enhanced by new cams, carbs, and quick-change rear ends.
The car presented was built by Jimmy DiMarco. Jim DiMarco was born in 1920 and served in the Second World War with the Air Force in both Africa and Europe, working as a crew chief on P-47 and P-51. He later moved into flight instruction and earned his instrument certification in twin-engine planes. His first car he built was also a V8-60 powered Midget and this one presented was the second car he built. His third car was Offenhauser powered which was auctioned off in 2021 by Mecum Auctions. In his long career which he finally gave up in his 60s he won races at Veterans Stadium in Bayonne, New Jersey, and captured the season championship at Menands Raceway in Albany, New York. He also scored victories at Freeport, New York; Morristown, New Jersey; Yellow Jacket Stadium in Philadelphia; and Islip, New York. In national standings, he finished 8th in NASCAR points in 1954 and 9th in ARDC points in 1952
The car was hand-built in around 1939 in Garfield, New Jersey, with the assistance of Bill Scarince, also a midget racer. The car has a hand-formed aluminum body over a hand-built rail frame. The car used a 1937 Ford V8-60 HP engine fitted with a “Pop” Green cam—Pop Green lived in Paterson, New Jersey, at the time. The engine uses a thermal siphon cooling system instead of water pumps, saving approximately eight horsepower. It ran on a six-volt dry cell battery powering the ignition, mounted above the engine on the radiator support rods. Instead of the more expensive quick-change rear end popular during that period, this car used a custom-built Curtis quick-change in/out box, which provided the same benefit and was considerably cheaper. The rear axle was from a Model A and fitted with safety hubs.
The car originally had mechanical brakes—one-wheel rear brakes on the left side only, as the car used a locked rear axle. When the car began running on asphalt later in its life, it was converted the system to hydraulic brakes. As was typical for the time, there were no brakes on the front axle. The front axle was originally from a Ford Model A but problems were encountered with breakage of the ends of the axle. To remedy this, the second owner, Peter Benn modified the axle by grafting on Willys axle ends.
It is believed the car was first raced in late 1939 by Jimmy DiMarco, carrying the number 98. The car and number were purchased by Peter Benn in 1940, who raced it at the Tri-City Stadium in Union, New Jersey, before World War II. In 1948, Benn brought the car to the Louisville, Kentucky area and began racing at tracks across Kentucky, Indiana, and Tennessee. The car competed regularly at the Sportsdrome in Jeffersonville, Indiana, and also raced at Evansville, Bowling Green, Nashville, Tennessee, and Nashville, Indiana. The car held the track record at the Bowling Green Fairgrounds at the time the fairgrounds track was torn down.
The car was involved in two serious accidents during its competition years. It was wrecked at the Jeffersonville Sportsdrome in 1948 when the car rolled over, leaving Benn with a broken collarbone. Later, at a track in Osgood, Indiana, a track service Jeep entered the circuit in the wrong direction while responding to a crash and struck the midget almost head-on. The Jeep came up over the right side of the car, causing significant damage. Evidence of that impact can still be seen where the frame was later patched.
The car remains 100% complete, missing only the windscreen that was fitted when running on dirt tracks. It also includes its original trailer, in the same condition it was in when it left its last paved-track race in the mid-1960s. After its final race, the car was parked on its trailer and remained there, being removed only once in the early 1970s for an exhibition lap at the Jeffersonville Sportsdrome. Since the car was not being raced, Peter had given up the number 98 and when the final exhibition drive was made at the Sportsdrome, the number 23 was stenciled on the car as that was the number Peter used on his 'Crosley' stock car.
The car’s condition speaks for itself. It is a true time capsule—exactly as it was when it last competed more than sixty years ago. The asphalt and grease still cling to its underside. The original stickers, race numbers, and faded lacquer paint remain untouched. The dents in the oil pan could only have come from genuine racing, and still shows a hint of its original paint beneath the grime. The cockpit is fitted with original prewar gauges and even a Saint Christopher plaque on the dash—the only “protection” between the driver and a potential rollover.
Included with the car are original photographs of the DiMarco Special in its early years, showing the builder and owner sitting in the car. One image shows it being towed on its original trailer, the same one included with it today. Another photo shows the aftermath of the Jeffersonville rollover accident, with Benn still inside the car. Also included is an original trophy won by the car.
The car is not currently running, though the engine still turns freely. Its current owner made the deliberate decision to preserve the car exactly as it is, believing that any restoration or tampering would risk erasing its authenticity and story. The next owner may choose to recommission the car for display or preserve it in its untouched condition.
This car is ideal for those who appreciate genuine history and originality. It has been displayed at the Milwaukee Concours and at a local show, where it was towed behind a 1933 Ford Panel Truck. For more than ten years, it has been kept in a heated private museum, preserved as a complete piece of American racing history. Because of its remarkable condition and authenticity, the opportunities for future display and exhibition are limitless.
The car will be submitted to Bring a Trailer in the upcoming days. The pre-submission price is $30,000.
1954 Austin Healey 100-4 BN1
This 1954 Austin-Healey 100-4 BN1 is finished in two-tone black and gray paint and is powered by its matching-numbers engine. It is also equipped with Lucas driving lights and an extremely rare vintage aftermarket hardtop. Mechanical upgrades include a Dennis Welch aluminum cylinder head and a stainless-steel exhaust system. According to Austin-Healey 100 expert Curtis Arndt, one of the best upgrades that can be performed on a Healey is the installation of an alloy cylinder head.
While the car has received a repaint and an interior retrim, it has never undergone a full restoration. The underside still shows its original BMC primer, and many original components remain intact. The paint is not perfect but presents well, especially when paired with the color-matched hardtop, which still carries its original Plastic Dynamics sticker.
The car runs and drives very well and has been enjoyed at several car shows under the current ownership. It moves through all three of its fully synchronized gears smoothly and engages overdrive without hesitation. The engine has ample power and maintains approximately 40 PSI of oil pressure at idle. A compression test has been performed and shows all cylinders within range. Braking performance is as expected. The original date-coded radiator of October 1954 is still in the car, showing no leaks. The car was serviced in 2024 to ensure it is a safe and reliable road-going example. The car does leak beyond the typical English-car seepage, which should be addressed.
The turn signals, headlights, wipers, horn, and heater have all been tested and are functioning properly. The gas gauge is currently inoperative and will need attention, and the Lucas driving lights could be wired if desired.
Several tasteful additions have been made during the car’s life. These include etched signatures on the aluminum dashboard from a previous owner as well as the creators of the car. A bracket beneath the dashboard holds a quick-access fire extinguisher, and seat belts have been added for both the driver and passenger. A six-blade cooling fan has also been installed for improved cooling, and the original fan blade is included.
A collection of interesting literature accompanies the car, including the original owner’s manual and service manual. The owner’s manual has been signed by the original owner, the second owner, the designer of the car Gerry Coker, and Donald Healey himself. Additional items include several vintage brochures and advertisements, an overdrive operation and maintenance handbook, and a Heritage Certificate.
Original tools are also included, such as a correct date-coded jack, the original knock-off hammer, and tool bags. Other accessories include a tonneau cover and side curtains.
Rarely offered in such an untampered-with state, this example is believed to have had just two owners since new. The original parking pass issued to the doctor who purchased the car new is included in the sale.
The car presents an excellent opportunity for its next caretaker: it could be taken apart and restored to the next level while benefiting from the presence of many original components, or it could continue to be enjoyed much as it has been under previous ownership—well cared for and regularly toured.
SOLD! - $40,000
1955 MG TF 1500
In the summer of 1954, MG introduced the TF 1500 — the final version of the beloved T-Series — as a stopgap to boost sales before launching the all-new MGA. The TF 1500 came equipped with an upgraded 1466cc engine producing 63 horsepower and wore distinctive “1500” badges along the hood. Just 3,400 were built between mid-1954 and 1955, making this the rarest and most refined of the T-Series line.
This 1955 example is in excellent condition and shows what a proper TF should look like. It is finished in birch gray with a red interior — a correct factory color combination, though it is unknown if it is original to this specific car. This car presents beautifully overall, though it does show minor chips and scratches in the paint. The brightwork is in good condition with only light pitting and minor scratches, but no dents or rust. The body shows no signs of ever being involved in an accident and is both dent-free and rust-free.
The interior and top are in excellent shape. The passenger-side seat bottom was replaced in the past year, and the driver’s seat has no rips or tears. The passenger seat back does have a small split. Included with the car is the full set of side curtains, all free of rips or tears. The top has no stains or tears but in photos does have one sagging strap on the inside, which will be fixed by the current owner.
The car runs and drives well. In November 2024, the engine was gone through by the current owner with new bearings, tappets, gaskets, and seals. A professionally inspected used camshaft was installed in the engine. Photos of the rebuild process — including plastigauge checks and engine repaint — can be sent over. While the engine was removed, a new clutch and release bearing were installed. The original engine is numbers-matching to the car, with engine number 1742, which is visible on the data plaque. A modern oil filter attachment has been added to the oil pump for easier servicing, as well as a PerTronix electronic ignition.
Other recent work includes four new tires purchased in 2022, and a rebuilt front end with new polyurethane bushings and a hardened sway bar. The brakes have also been fully serviced with new brake cylinders, master cylinder, brake hoses, and shoes. A new old stock gas tank was sourced and installed during this time as well. The current owner added accessory horns on the front, which are louder than the originals — these are bolt-on and can easily be removed if the next owner wishes to revert to stock.
All of the gauges work, as do the lights and headlights; the only exception is the low fuel warning light, which is not hooked up to the sender unit. The headlights installed are Hella H4's, which shine much brighter than other brands.
There is a port on the side of the water inlet for a heater, but no heater is installed since the car is driven only in warm weather and was a dealer option. The water inlet is the hardest part to source, so having it makes adding a heater easier if desired.
The car comes with a clean Illinois title in the owner’s name and is currently located in Antioch, Illinois, just south of the Wisconsin border.
SOLD!
1931 Rolls-Royce Phantom II Continental Lancefield Gurney and Nutting Sedanca Coupe
This car has history dating back to new, including being driven in the 1931 Monte Carlo Rally. Contestants would travel from different parts of Europe and converge in Monte Carlo at the end of the rally. That year, Donald Healey won the event driving an Invicta.
The original owner of this Phantom II was the managing editor of the weekly magazine Today’s Cinema (published from 1928 to 1971) and also a theater owner. He would regularly drive the car from his home in West Sussex to London—about 45 to 50 miles—where his office was located. A 1995 article by the previous owner mentioned that the car had timers installed for the lights, which was likely due to a law at the time requiring parked cars in London to remain lit overnight. This suggests the original owner often stayed late in the city.
During a restoration, bullet holes were discovered in the door—believed to be from a .445 Webley. It’s thought that after the car was shot at, it was taken to Gurney Nutting where it received new fenders, triple door hinges for added strength, and a fixed one position top. Originally, this was a full drophead coupe. It’s possible the owner wanted to change the look of the car to avoid being recognized, or simply decided to modify it while repairing the damage, since it needed paint and bodywork anyway.
Interestingly, the man who restored it claims aka embellished, fabricated, assumed the original owner was driving the car when it was shot at, causing him to crash and prompting the body changes—but there was no real evidence of a serious wreck.
The father of the current owner had the car from 1962 until his passing in 2012—owning it for 50 years—and drove it an estimated 150,000 miles. Today, the car shows 192,000 miles.
This Phantom II is equipped with interesting and unusual features for a Rolls-Royce. The small driving light and headlights are made by Marchal. The door pulls, window crank knob, and escutcheons inside are all ivory (sorry to the elephants for that one). To get more ventilation in the car you can open up the top of the windshield. The car is also equipped with Andre components, including hydraulically adjustable shocks, an Andre bumper, and Andre-Hartford shock absorbers.
This car still wears its original 1931 license plate, as British cars keep their plates through ownership changes.
SOLD! - $150,000